Monday, July 7, 2014

Is it a guilty pleasure to enjoy the witch myth?

I must confess that I find myself salaciously curious and enticed by the witch myth. What I mean by the witch myth is how witches are being portrayed in today's pop culture and entertainment media through shows like FX's American Horror Story: Coven, or WGN's TV series, Salem. However, the more I read and learn about real witches, their history, and the myth that was developed in an attempt to irradiate them, the more conflicted I get when watching these shows.

These shows are reinforcing the myth that witches are evil and work in concert with the devil to bring mayhem upon humanity. However, from what I am learning through my reading on Paganism, Wicca, and modern-day witchcraft and through video documentaries like The Burning Times, is that because Christian church leaders in the 16th and 17th centuries felt threatened by pagan practices in general and witches specifically they concocted what I am calling the witch myth. Characteristics and practices that seem to be a part of this myth include being filled with malice, worshiping the devil, and cursing innocent people.

One thing different about today's pop-culture witch is sex-appeal. The shows I have mentioned make witches and witchcraft seem very sexy and mysterious. Even though witches in these shows are often portrayed as loners or outcasts (which probably is intended to appeal to teenage angst), there is something enticingly lurid about these characters.

However, at the same time that I am enjoying shows like Salem and Coven, I grow more and more angry over the mistreatment witches, and women accused of being witches, have received over the centuries. One thing that I think the Salem show is doing well is magnifying the myopic and irrational means by which the Puritans found and killed people they claimed were witches (mostly women but some men) during the Salem witch trials. It is near the end of the season for the show Salem and the audience (me) has been brought to a point of such hatred for the antagonist, Increase Mather (Cotton Mather's father), that we can't wait for him to be taken out with a most gruesome and torturous death.

Hear is my question: Do modern-day witches and Wiccans enjoy these shows as simply fictional entertainment, or are they repulsed by them viewing them as detrimental and counter-productive to their image and way of life? I am curious because as a new pagan, I don't want to offend and I want to know if enjoying shows like these is acceptable behavior in the pagan and witch communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment