Thursday, July 3, 2014

Blog Start Up

I have attempted to start blogging a few times over the past several years, but without much success. I think part of the reason for my lack of success is that I had incomplete motives. My first blog was based on my professional vocation, adult higher education. I liked the lofty idea of sharing my thoughts and conversing with those with similar interests. So I created the blog and produced an introduction to the blog theme, andragogy. This was a brief (boring) academic essay that may have been interesting to someone without any knowledge of the topic but not to anyone within the field.

So I eagerly waited for people to see my blog and for me to be inspired to write some other “fascinating” pieces. Neither of these things came to be. I quickly realized that I had not developed the habit of writing for reflection or opinion. Additionally, I was not involved in any other blogging activity, such as reading other blogs. I think my main motive was to demonstrate my “knowledge” in the field of adult education. This effort quickly died on the vine as soon as it started about five years ago.

Things have changed a lot since then. I have become much more familiar with social media such as Twitter, YouTube, and Google+. In addition to that I have become fascinated with Paganism and Wicca. For the past six months I have been voraciously reading books on the topic and I have joined a few Pagan/Wiccan communities in Google+, followed a few people on Twitter who self-identify as either Pagan or Wiccan or witches, and I have watched and subscribed to several YouTube channels of this type. Many of those in the Google+ Pagan communities have blogs that I have enjoyed following and reading.

Because I am a little better versed in the world of social media than I was when I made my first blogging attempt, I think now is a good time to try again. My purpose for this blog is to have a place where I can develop and benefit from reflective writing. I hope to blog about my journey into Paganism as well as other things such as my obsession with all things “70s”; I am a hopeless nostalgic. Additionally, I hope to learn from and connect with other bloggers.

I have just started a weeklong “staycation” during which my goal is to write one post a day, whether or not I feel super inspired. This is my first post. After my staycation, I will revise my writing goal, but it will be important to have a goal of some kind in order to cultivate this new discipline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment